Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reeling in the year

January 1.

The day on which nothing happens, after a year in which a lot happened, and before another year in which a lot more will happen.

The changing of the year is an opportunity to reflect on past deeds, good and bad, to see if anything can be learned. In that respect, it's like a Sunday.

2007 was a year in which I did a couple of things that would be considered stupid by market sages:
  • I sold all my venerable, old mutual funds for cash.
  • I kept in my portfolio a single stock, GOOG, amounting to 20% of my entire investable assets.

Today, I have determined that my cash has increased in value, by 1.74%, over what my mutual funds would be worth, had I kept them.

And my profit in GOOG is 60.64%.

My resolution for the new year is to do a couple more stupid things, if I can think of any.

No comments: