Sunday, December 30, 2007

Archive Moon

A while back, I wondered how long Google would keep people's stuff around. Somebody responded that Google would keep everybody's stuff until they died.

I thought about that. Google doesn't even know who I am. How are they going to know when I'm dead? Besides, that's not even a good idea. If we backtest it, we find that Google would have deleted The Trial and Metamorphosis when Kafka died. If Max Brod had done that, we wouldn't have had to study Kafka in school. But you get my point.

Google needs a better rule than that. Here's one: never delete anything. If you try to delete stuff based on page ranks or actual access, you might throw away something really great.

If you run out of space in Trenton, or the rest of the world, archive stuff to the moon.

No comments: